Halifax, North End, Wedding Day:
We had our cameras and we were shooting bridal prep in a warm morning of 2014’s summer. That was the first time we visited the Foxy Moon Hair Gallery. Four friendly & talented women, a sleepy dog and an atmosphere as cozy as it is funky–all set the tone. There was good music and intriguing art on the wall. Sunlight streamed in through large windows facing Agricola street, the bride and her party were chatting and laughing, hair was being styled with finesse and makeup was applied with skill.
‘This is a friendly and cool place’ I kept thinking.
In the months following that first visit, we stayed in contact with Evyeneia, the owner of Foxy Moon. She recently celebrated being 10 years in business by wining, dining and prizing her clientele. We photographed the event and we were impressed with the display of gratitude. No wonder she’s been successful for 10 years! These days we sometimes meet at Lion and Bright to cook up new and artsy ideas. We also get our hair cut there.
A vendor blog about this Nova Scotian North End gem is long overdue.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Evyeneia describes her work as enduring. What this means is that instead of providing only a one-day-wow, she cuts hair so that it grows in well. It’s a quality cut that’s meant to last.
- She’s drawn to weddings because she likes the pressure of being part of such an important day, and enjoys providing a relaxed wedding-prep experience.
- If your bridal party is big enough (around 5 or more people), then you can have the whole salon to yourself. She also works on location if the bridal party is large enough.
- Foxy Moon is the first and only ‘Green Circle Salon’ in Halifax, which is a certification given to salons whose waste is handled according to specific environmental guidelines. The Coast recently featured Foxy Moon for their green efforts, which you can read about here.
- Haircuts (men and women), styling, colouring, aesthetics, as well as bridal updos and make up.
Prices (as of April, 2015):
- Haircuts start at $45
- Colouring starts at $65
- Updos start at $65
- Bridal updos start at $75
- 1-hour practice run starts at $50
Evyeneia says that her typical bride is laid-back, prefers a natural look, and tends to be a creative type who is eco-conscious. She’s the kind of woman who wants to accent her natural beauty, rather than look entirely different on her wedding day.
We always ask vendors what advice they would give to brides on their wedding day. Evyeneia said that only two things need to happen on the wedding day. First, you have to get married. Second, you have to look good doing it–and she can help with that part.
Owner & Head Stylist: Evyeneia Dexter
Stylists: Amanda Tsistinas and Kelly MacMullin
Address: 2725 Agricola Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Instagram: http://instagram.com/foxymoon (#youlookfoxy)